Monday, April 19, 2010

WP3: Statement of Purpose

This writing project has been the most difficult in terms of preparation for me because of the object and the analysis of the object. I am not very familiar with art especially in sculpture form but this class has prepared me for the rhetorical analysis that I have been working with in observing my sculpture.

The object I am analyzing is different from other writing projects and the requirements for this project are different which has affected the context and slightly affected my audience. I will still be publishing my writing in a blog post in a form similar to others with images and hyper-links and such. However, because I am doing option 2, my project will take the form of a letter to my sculpture which is quite an altered context from before because my writing will not be directed at the same audience of other writing projects. Additionally I will be reading my letter to my sculpture in front of the class and we will be outside. This is a whole new environment for the presentation of my writing and will be an interesting alternative to what we have done before.

As I mentioned before, the audience of this writing project has changed because of the requirements of option 2. The letter I am writing is specifically directed at my sculpture, because I will be using words like you to direct it such, and so she is my primary audience. Also this project will be available in two ways to my secondary audiences; I will be reading my letter to my sculpture in front of the class and also posting in a blog. My secondary audience that are my classmates will hear my letter and have access to it on my blog. Other people who come across my blog will be able to read my letter but it will be a different experience. Also, people who come across my blog who aren't aware of what the parameters for the assignment were might by slightly confused at first by the form of the blog post. Perhaps my author's statement that will appear before it will make it more clear to those people and just anyone who is not clear on my purpose.

My sense of purpose for this writing project stems from the requirements of option 2. I believe I would feel differently about this project if I were doing just a rhetorically analytic essay. However I am writing a letter to my sculpture, who I have spent a considerable amount of time with, which feels more personal and has changed what I want to do with my writing. I want to communicate how SANDY makes me feel and how the aspects of her construction and creation work to make me feel these things. Even though I know she won't actually be able to hear me and respond or anything, it is still important to me that I communicate specifically to her without worrying about what makes most sense to everyone else because they aren't my primary audience. I want to most effectively communicate how rhetorical elements can be applied to the way SANDY is sculpted in a way that is personal to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment